Houston - i think i have a problem

Discussions on the Olympic Arms WSSM Series

Moderator: Charlie-2-6

Houston - i think i have a problem

Postby Hookset » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:40 am

I just put together my second set of reloads for my 300 OSSM Gamestalker. These are from newly resized 25WSSM brass, so i was worried about ensuring the rounds chamber well, so i decided to run one round through the gun without firing. Placed the round in the magazine and let the action cycle forward, then ejected into a pile of rags. I was very surprised on how dinged up the round was, but even more disturbing was that the firing pin actually struck and dented the primer, it isn't suppose to do this is it?
Attachments
300 ossm primer struck.JPG
300 ossm primer struck.JPG (76.57 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
300 ossm dents and scrapes.JPG
300 ossm dents and scrapes.JPG (71.15 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
Hookset
Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: Houston - i think i have a problem

Postby Colorado Osprey » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:56 am

This happens with the AR-15 and it's floating firing pin.

The same thing will happen in 5.56 chamberings too.
It is also why the military primers are harder to prevent slam fires.
Lets just remove all the warning label and let nature take its course.
Colorado Osprey
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Hookset » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:41 am

Man, keep that muzzle pointed in a safe direction for sure!
Hookset
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby shootermcmillan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:55 am

Unnerving ...........isn't it? Shouldn't be a big deal, but for future reference I would probably ease the bolt closed when "testing" inside.
From hell's heart, I stab at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee................vile politicians!!
shootermcmillan
OA2 Team Member
OA2 Team Member

Postby Hookset » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:58 am

Sound Advice, that's for sure!
Hookset
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Rattler » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:16 am

A small dimple is perfectly normal. As far as the scratches on the brass go, use a Sharpie and paint one black, and then watch it as you load and unload the rifle slowly to get a better idea of where the marks are coming from. Look look magazine scratches (and yes, you can polish and clean up those mags too), and feed ramp impacts. These can also be polished as well.
"A toast? Yeah. To high treason... So - Here's to the men who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right. What they knew was right."
Nicholas Cage as Ben Gates: National Treasure
Rattler
OA2 PRESIDENT
OA2 PRESIDENT

Postby Hookset » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:21 am

Rattler wrote:A small dimple is perfectly normal. As far as the scratches on the brass go, use a Sharpie and paint one black, and then watch it as you load and unload the rifle slowly to get a better idea of where the marks are coming from. Look look magazine scratches (and yes, you can polish and clean up those mags too), and feed ramp impacts. These can also be polished as well.

Great feedback. What do you use to do the polishing? I am thinking maybe Flitz polish on a dremel pad?
Hookset
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Rattler » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:31 am

Hookset wrote: Great feedback. What do you use to do the polishing? I am thinking maybe Flitz polish on a dremel pad?

Flitz works great, although it does have some ammonia it it, so make sure you neutralize it with oils after you use it. A Dremmel tool with a kratex wheel works great on the feed ramps. For the magazine, which is steel, I'd use an Emmery cloth and do that by hand. Disassemble the mags, and just clean up those freshly cut feed lips.
"A toast? Yeah. To high treason... So - Here's to the men who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right. What they knew was right."
Nicholas Cage as Ben Gates: National Treasure
Rattler
OA2 PRESIDENT
OA2 PRESIDENT

Return to WSSM Central