Mylar and Oxygen Absorbers for long term food storage

Techniques, Advice and Discussion on Survival in the Great Outdoors

Moderators: Charlie-2-6, Slamaxe

Mylar and Oxygen Absorbers for long term food storage

Postby John A. » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:57 pm

I was able to catch 50 one gallon mylar bags with oxygen absorbers on sale at amazon for less than $19 delivered so I ordered them.

I have been using vacuum sealed foodsaver bags placed in 5 gallon buckets, but the oxygen absorbers and mylar are generally rated with a longer shelf life, so I'm planning on trying to put some more food up for the winter because at this elevation, sometimes gets pretty hairy to drive on some of these roads when we get a lot of snow.

White rice, Oatmeal, dried soup beans, Non-Iodinized salt, white sugar, instant coffee and mashed potato mix, raw/dried pasta and many other dry goods have excess of 20 year shelf life if done right..

Does self rising flour, corn meal, pancake mix, etc store as well?

Anyone else know anything that would be good to store in the bags?

powdered milk or eggs or ??????
Yes, I'm "THAT" guy
John A.
OA2 Advisory Council
OA2 Advisory Council

Re: Mylar and Oxygen Absorbers for long term food storage

Postby jerry » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:08 am

How about some wheat and some dried yeast.
A buddy of mine that is much more knowledgeable that I suggested that any products that could have insects (like weevils ) that you put a piece of dry ice in the container with it partially closed til the dry ice evaporates to drive out all the oxygen before sealing it up. (a 5 gallon bucket has a lot of O2 in it to start with) to make sure you get the longest shelf life even with the bag with an O2 barrier and oxygen absorbers.

I need to follow your lead and start putting up some long term food storage. I think saving staple food like you are doing is much better than a lot of the commercial stuff that is on the market.
jerry
Sniper
Sniper

Postby John A. » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:42 am

I have heard that if you put flour and such in the deep freeze for about a week, let thaw and wait 3 days and freeze again that it kills any bugs and allows eggs to hatch, and thus the re-freeze a few days afterward to kill off any stragglers that may hatch after thawing before they have a chance to lay more eggs before sealing in the mylar bags.

But then again, the O2 absorbers would make life difficult or impossible even if they did hatch, so maybe that is an unnecessary step for nothing but I don't see how it would hurt anything.

I only know of one store that sells dry ice near me.

And truthfully, I don't know a lot about dry ice.

I hear a lot of people talk about putting back this and that, but seldom do you hear anyone putting back salt, which is a necessity for normal body function.

I have also heard that regular Iodized table salt only has a shelf life of about 5 years due to the iodide additives and why I am looking for straight salt that hasn't been treated, which being a natural mineral/element has a much longer shelf than I do. LOL

As for wheat, I have seriously considered buying a hand crank mill for corn I grow and maybe as a side job ( :mrgreen: ), but wheat itself takes a lot of space to store and by the time you crush it up in powder form that doesn't take up near as much space.

Plus lately, I have been having to cut back on my wheat/gluten intake due to some ongoing stomach problems and it seems to be helping a little.

Baking powder and a few simple spices is something else I am thinking of buying a few bottles of. And the dried yeast is a very good recommendation. But it being a "live organism", I am unsure how to properly store them. I suppose that will be my project at the library tomorrow.

And not for food storage, but borax is another useful item to have around. It can be used as laundry soap, additive for making candle wicks using twine, etc.

To my knowledge, rubbing alcohol also has a lot of various uses, is relatively cheap to buy, and if stored in good conditions will also last virtually forever.

Those are just some of my rambling thoughts.
Yes, I'm "THAT" guy
John A.
OA2 Advisory Council
OA2 Advisory Council

Postby jerry » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:37 pm

Sounds like you have a lot of good ideas.
It seems awfully smart to do all we can to make certain any food we put away is protected and preserved as well as possible

I like the salt, spice and the rubbing alcohol.
I also like the idea of vacuum packing , seems like Oxygen must be one of the greatest cause of long term breakdown of most things.
One other idea, how about putting away and preserving Heritage (non hybrid) seed stock,that seems like the next step in preparing for unknown emergencies??
Plus ideas for long tern clean water access??
I'd like to learn more about proper long term food storage methods and what foods store well. Please keep us informed as you learn more

Jerry
jerry
Sniper
Sniper

Postby John A. » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:49 am

The last gardening season, everything that I planted, was all heirloom and non hybrid and not genetically altered seeds.

Obviously, I kept a few out to replenish the seeds that I used this year and I have also been trading with a few friends who also used all heirloom and we have started our own seed exchange. I traded several variety that I had for ones that I didn't have. :thumbs up:

As for water, Berkey filters are probably the best out there. :wink:

I built a 4 gallon gravity filtering tank using one of their replacement filters and a spigot and a drill from free cake icing buckets from a local deli :thumbs up:

Sorry for the poor lighting.

Yes, I'm "THAT" guy
John A.
OA2 Advisory Council
OA2 Advisory Council

Return to Survival