Mossberg MVP 5.56 24" Review

All other series of rifles.

Moderators: Charlie-2-6, TravisM.1, Once a Marine......., The OA2 Staff

Mossberg MVP 5.56 24" Review

Postby Dstehl » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:38 pm

I picked up a Mossberg MVP about 2 months ago. I got it on a trade as payment for gunsmith services.
The previous owner had painted a bunch of camo on it and removed, then lost the extractor. The rifle also had some superficial rust on it from a serious lack of maintenance.

I striped the gun down and removed the paint. Got all the rust off of it and sanded and polished the wood stock. Spent about 6 weeks trying to get replacement parts for it from Mossberg. Mossberg has to have the slowest customer service on earth. After multiple emails I received a response but it was two weeks from the first email until they contacted me. I was about to drive the 3 hours south to Eagle Pass because i was getting tired of waiting. I will say Mossberg while slow did take care of me and replaced the parts for free. Needless to say they have gained a customer and someday a stocking dealer.

I finally had a chance to shoot it last Saturday. I drove out to the Sheriff's Department shooting range and setup in the back of my truck. After putting my targets up at our makeshift 100 yard lane (It's basically a mound of dirt with pallets to staple targets to) I rolled out my Blackhawk Shooting Mat (thanks again Rattler) and started my sight in.

I took 3 shots and found out my scope wasn't too far off. 3" high and 5" left. After some minor adjustments the rifle was able to average 1.5" (1.5" being the largest) with totally garbage ammo. I expect this rifle to be sub MOA with match ammo. I did have a customer bring me a .308 MVP and after a action bedding his rifle will hold .85" at 400 yards. I plan on spending a few more hours bedding the action and fitting the receiver to the bedding posts and mag well.

With the ability to use AR type mags (pmags work great), being chambered in 5.56, and a high accuracy potential I think Mossberg might have a solid rifle in the MVP.

Side Note: The 308 MVP uses DPMS style AR10 mags.
Derek Stehl
K3B 16" SS 5.56

http://facebook.com/derekstehl
Dstehl
Expert Rifleman
Expert Rifleman

Re: Mossberg MVP 5.56 24" Review

Postby Charlie-2-6 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:45 am

Pics or it didn't happen :wink:
Too bad that I haven't found them on this side of the pond. Would be a nice change from the semi-autos I have.

Pat Rogers - EAG Tactical ©
Charlie-2-6
OA2 Staff - AC/TEAM MEMBER
OA2 Staff - AC/TEAM MEMBER

Re: Mossberg MVP 5.56 24" Review

Postby Dstehl » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:05 am

The customer didn't send me any pics but he was so excited when he called me. I gave him a little shooting advise on going long range and he was more than pleased with the results.

I am starting to make a name for myself in the area. My business is growing although not very fast. Small market in the middle of nowhere has its challenges.
Derek Stehl
K3B 16" SS 5.56

http://facebook.com/derekstehl
Dstehl
Expert Rifleman
Expert Rifleman

Return to Other Rifles