Saiga .223

All other series of rifles.

Moderators: Charlie-2-6, TravisM.1, Once a Marine......., The OA2 Staff

Saiga .223

Postby Uberschprung » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:41 pm

I have an oppertuinity to trade for a Izhmash Saiga .223/5.56 rifle...It's a couple years old and hasn't been used much...

Everything in the picture is included except for the red-dot. The list of hardware is as follows:
- Polish Beryl folding stock
- Tapco G2 trigger
- Hogue OverMolded grip w/ storage compartment
- SGM Tactical Tri-Rail handguard
- Ultimak railed gastube
- PWS Triad muzzle device
- 3x 30rd SGM mags, 1x 20rd SGM mag, 1x 10rd factory mag

He's asking $800 in trade value. What is your expierience with these firearms? Is it worth what he's asking?

Thanks
Attachments
udJGQ1E.jpg
udJGQ1E.jpg (24.44 KiB) Viewed 833 times
Q: What's the difference between Obama and God?
A: God doesn't think he is Obama
Uberschprung
OA2 Team Member
OA2 Team Member

Re: Saiga .223

Postby Thom » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:41 pm

I wish I could offer you advice, but I have none on this rifle. I have long been interested in one myself. $800 does seem a bit steepish for a Saiga though.
Thom. . .

"The only REAL safety is between your ears. . ."

Once a Marine....... wrote:After all we do have plenty of room for all of Gods animals......... right next to the mashed potatoes!
Thom
Sniper
Sniper

Postby John A. » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:28 am

With the drama in Ukraine, Obama has stopped imports from Russia by executive order.

That EO may not last forever, but then again, the Chinese/Norinco ban that Bush 1 did back in '89 is still in effect and once they get on the books, they may never be taken off.

If you just have to HAVE an Russian Izhmash AK, considering that it's already been converted back to standard AK configuration (rather than "the sporting" configuration that Saiga's are imported with) that right there accounts for much of the extra cost.

Even Romanian WASR's have been going for upwards of $550 these days.

With that said, while we both know that 223 is generally a good round, to a purist, they'd probably have the original 7.62x39 or even 5.45x39 caliber.

I don't necessarily think the $800 price is out of line and probably really about "at cost" even if you could find a Saiga on the shelf right now, so it's not really a bad deal, but know that you're mainly paying extra for the name and the work that has been done to it moving the trigger group and swapping the stock. And the quality of that work is dependent on who did the work.

I know that my answer may not have helped you either way, but was trying to be straight up with you about it.
Yes, I'm "THAT" guy
John A.
OA2 Advisory Council
OA2 Advisory Council

Postby Uberschprung » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:01 pm

John A. wrote:With the drama in Ukraine, Obama has stopped imports from Russia by executive order.

That EO may not last forever, but then again, the Chinese/Norinco ban that Bush 1 did back in '89 is still in effect and once they get on the books, they may never be taken off.

If you just have to HAVE an Russian Izhmash AK, considering that it's already been converted back to standard AK configuration (rather than "the sporting" configuration that Saiga's are imported with) that right there accounts for much of the extra cost.

Even Romanian WASR's have been going for upwards of $550 these days.

With that said, while we both know that 223 is generally a good round, to a purist, they'd probably have the original 7.62x39 or even 5.45x39 caliber.

I don't necessarily think the $800 price is out of line and probably really about "at cost" even if you could find a Saiga on the shelf right now, so it's not really a bad deal, but know that you're mainly paying extra for the name and the work that has been done to it moving the trigger group and swapping the stock. And the quality of that work is dependent on who did the work.

I know that my answer may not have helped you either way, but was trying to be straight up with you about it.

Your comments have definatly helped!
Q: What's the difference between Obama and God?
A: God doesn't think he is Obama
Uberschprung
OA2 Team Member
OA2 Team Member

Return to Other Rifles