Century Arms C308

All other series of rifles.

Moderators: Charlie-2-6, TravisM.1, Once a Marine......., The OA2 Staff

Century Arms C308

Postby mark4Jesus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:59 pm

Got a Century Arms C308 Friday. It took three months to get it, but I am happy I waited. I have always like H&K's since I used an MP-5 when I was a police officer/SWAT. The C308 is a HK 91 clone and uses the delayed blowback roller-lock bolt. I took it to the range yesterday and put 35 rounds through it getting used to it and to make sure it functioned, which it did. Shot all but six at 50yds to get used to it and then shot 6 at 100 yds with the iron sights. Second group was nice. With a little practice I believe I could shoot a 2-3 inch group with irons.

Century Arms catches a lot of flack, but I am very happy with this rifle.
Attachments
IMG_0145.jpeg
K40-GL
mark4Jesus
Marksman
Marksman

Re: Century Arms C308

Postby Thom » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:50 pm

Very sweet! I made a friend online some years back (Late 90s) who lived in Finland, after his compulsory service he was given his issue H&K to keep and maintain for life. (All non-criminal adult men are in the militia or at least they were at that time.) Aside from the mandatory annual qualification, they were free to use it for practice or hunting as they chose. He loved his H&K and praised it often, he and most of his friends used it as their standard hunting and every purpose rifle.

I have never fired one, though I have handled a CETME which is supposed to be similar. The CETME was brutal on brass with an oversize fluted chamber, definitely not a reloaders friend!
Thom. . .

"The only REAL safety is between your ears. . ."

Once a Marine....... wrote:After all we do have plenty of room for all of Gods animals......... right next to the mashed potatoes!
Thom
Sniper
Sniper

Postby John A. » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:34 pm

I used to have a friend who had a Cetme.

And I sold one to another member here several years ago when I had my FFl's.

I remember them being like the MP5's bigger version.

I have an MP5K SBR (clone) and it is probably the most finicky contrary and hard to get along with gun that I own.
Yes, I'm "THAT" guy
John A.
OA2 Advisory Council
OA2 Advisory Council

Postby mark4Jesus » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:07 am

I learned a lot about the HK91/G3 as I did my research on the C308. The CETME was the ancestor to the HK. Century Arms made a CETME clone that was, by their own admission, hit or miss on getting a reliable rifle. The HK/clone internals are just like the MP-5, just more bigger.

Thom, this one is brutal on brass as well. It ejected the brass 8 - 12 yards, and the fluted chamber really marks up the brass. I think that it would be difficult to reload. I wish the U.S. military would give the issue weapons upon discharge. Of course we are a lot bigger that Finland. The fact that all adult, non-criminal, men in have battle rifles would be an interesting fact to bring up to the anti-gunners. I am going to do some research on that.

The weight, ~9lbs, and the heavy bolt absorb the recoil. I shot the 35 rounds and my shoulder did not get sore at all, couldn't do that with my son's Remington 700!
K40-GL
mark4Jesus
Marksman
Marksman

Postby John A. » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:48 am

If you have never shot a FAL, and get the opportunity to, try one.

They're a little heavier than the 91, but the adjustable gas piston is great.

Not saying anything negative about the 91. I just think you would like it.

Yes, I'm "THAT" guy
John A.
OA2 Advisory Council
OA2 Advisory Council

Postby mark4Jesus » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:08 pm

John A. wrote:If you have never shot a FAL, and get the opportunity to, try one.

They're a little heavier than the 91, but the adjustable gas piston is great.

Not saying anything negative about the 91. I just think you would like it.

A friend of mine has one and he loves it. Next time he gets to come this way we are going to go shooting. I'm going to ask him to bring it.
K40-GL
mark4Jesus
Marksman
Marksman

Postby John A. » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:21 pm

Both of those guns are fun to shoot.

I think the FAL is a little easier on the shoulder, but at the same time, they're heavier too.

The world is full of compromises.
Yes, I'm "THAT" guy
John A.
OA2 Advisory Council
OA2 Advisory Council

Postby Blackshadow » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:27 pm

I just ordered a C308 the price was to good to pass up... from what I have been reading Century has improved there quality control with the newer C308 over their earlier CETME clones. I had a HK91 with a PSG trigger was a great rifle but sold it when the price was going crazy wished now I kept it but.... I'm sure the C308 won't be the rifle my HK91 was but if function well and groups fairly well I'll be happy.

Mark4Jesus your post has been encouraging thanks for the good report.
Blackshadow
Plinker
Plinker

Postby mark4Jesus » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:53 am

Blackshadow, you are welcome! I have probably put about 200 rounds through it with no malfunctions. My one complaint is that it uses the CETME rear sight. The 100 yard sight is hard for me to get on because it is a bit low for me. The 200 yd sight is better, but I could not adjust the front sight post. There is a special tool to adjust the front sight that is hard to find. I finally found one at Apex Gun Parts, but I just looked and they are out of stock. I will add the website below. You should be able to find one or call Apex and see when they will have some in. I believe it was $20.00. I have not had a chance to adjust the sight since I got it though. Cheaper Than Dirt has surplus G-3/HK-91 mags for $2.97 each, best price I have found, and they are good quality. I believe you will be happy with the rifle.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/cetme-sigh ... l-new.html
K40-GL
mark4Jesus
Marksman
Marksman

Return to Other Rifles