Looking for ideas from Folks

Building a rifle based on the AR-15 hardware?

Moderators: Charlie-2-6, TravisM.1, Whisper_44, The OA2 Staff

Looking for ideas from Folks

Postby DocH » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:41 pm

Hi,
Well, looking for ideas from Folks who have been there and done this!
Love My K8, but tis a bit on the Heavy side for hiking, etc.
I have a Billet Upper/Lower "set" made by TNW of Orygun and am looking for ideas as to what Oly Parts to complete a light to medium weight rifle.
Would like to go with an 18 inch 1-8 tube and prolly stick with the A-2 style stock....other than that I am wide-open on what to build it with.
I have a Leupold M8 6X AO scope to park on top of it, unles folks think some type of 'Reflex" unit would be better.

Like I say, just looking to build a Rifle I could sling over my shoulder and hike with it...
Would Really love to have a 6.5 MPC Rifle...

http://www.defensereview.com/ssk-65-mpc ... y-warfare/

Thoughts anyone?
Thanks,
Ed
DocH
OA2 Team Member
OA2 Team Member

Re: Looking for ideas from Folks

Postby Thom » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:23 pm

I have two composite lowers, a Cav Arms MkII and a Plumb Crazy, both are extremely light. Both companies have passed their products onto other manufactures, but they are still out there and available by different names.

Going with billet really isn't gonna save you much weight, if any at all. . .
Thom. . .

"The only REAL safety is between your ears. . ."

Once a Marine....... wrote:After all we do have plenty of room for all of Gods animals......... right next to the mashed potatoes!
Thom
Sniper
Sniper

Postby John A. » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:06 am

Yes, billet is normally desirable for beefing up the material in certain area's making it "stronger" (and I use that term very loosely as you will seldom EVER see a standard receiver broken that hasn't been damaged by either a bad reload, or damaged by something other than related to the gun).

Barrel contour will usually remove more weight than anything else. A lightweight, or pencil barrel are normally the lightest. A low profile gas block also weighs less than a standard front sight assembly too.

Even if you don't go with a .625 pencil barrel, lightweight barrels often are a smaller diameter under the handguards, which help keep weight down some.

As Thom pointed out, polymer lowers also save some weight. I have seen a few polymer uppers receivers as well, but not in a while. I considered getting a stripped polymer upper when I was building my dedicated suppressed 22lr upper because it wouldn't see much stress at all in a 22lr. But I ended up just getting a slickside aluminum upper instead because 22lr doesn't utilize forward assist and such.
Yes, I'm "THAT" guy
John A.
OA2 Advisory Council
OA2 Advisory Council

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:15 pm

I've had a few Plum Crazy polymer lowers and also a New Frontier (used to be Plum Crazy). Never had any problems with them. They all had very good polymer triggers/hammers. Sold the Plum Crazys when prices sky rocketed and the New Frontier was in on a trade deal for a motorcycle. The only polymer upper I have is on a dedicated .22LR upper.
I never weighed a lower but just holding a polymer and an aluminum, both stripped, I couldn't really feel any difference. I think any weight you saved you would gain back with the 18" barrel.
Rob
OA2 Team Member
OA2 Team Member

Return to AR-15 Uppers, Lowers. & Misc. Pieces