Building my first 300 whisper upper

Building a rifle based on the AR-15 hardware?

Moderators: Charlie-2-6, TravisM.1, Whisper_44, The OA2 Staff

Re: Building my first 300 whisper upper

Postby Ken73 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:40 pm

Rattler wrote:Using lead cast bullets, make sure you give the barrel a really good cleaning. Fouling loves to build up in the AR15 barre, especially at the muzzle and inside the flash hider. Weapon Shield makes a great solvent.

Shouldn't have to worry about that with powder coated bullets; the lead is encapsulated.
Ken73
Sniper
Sniper

Postby John A. » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:18 pm

I haven't shot a lot of the cast bullets, but yes, they are powder coated. Or something of the sorts.

But it is known to rub/wear off at the rifling at minimum.

I have dug some out of the backstop that has virtually no coating whatsoever, but that may be expected plowing through dirt, clay, rocks and whatever else.
Yes, I'm "THAT" guy
John A.
OA2 Advisory Council
OA2 Advisory Council

Postby Rattler » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:41 am

In my opinion (take THAT for what it's worth), powder coated bullets are a bad deal for any rifle, with the possible exception of polygonal rifled barrels.

Powder coating creates a light dimensional coating, but the coating is hard, rock hard, like enamel on the kitchen sink hard. While steel is certainly harder than enamel or powder coatings, whether you're talking 4140, 4210 or 416 stainless, the strength of the steel is in it's over-all tensile strength, not strength of surface tension. It's like shooting flakes of abrasive through the bore, and no matter what you are shooting, once you cut, grind or chip through the surface tension of your barrel's bore, it will not be long for your groups to open to an unacceptable size. Can they be used successfully? Sure. Just not something I'd throw through my rifle.
"A toast? Yeah. To high treason... So - Here's to the men who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right. What they knew was right."
Nicholas Cage as Ben Gates: National Treasure
Rattler
OA2 PRESIDENT
OA2 PRESIDENT

Postby Thom » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:10 pm

One of the bullet powder coatings I was reading about was a blend of Derlin (Teflon successor) and graphite, which shouldn't be too hard, but might set off the "Cop Killer Ammo" debate from the old Teflon coated tungsten days.
Thom. . .

"The only REAL safety is between your ears. . ."

Once a Marine....... wrote:After all we do have plenty of room for all of Gods animals......... right next to the mashed potatoes!
Thom
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Ken73 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:27 pm

Cured powder coat not only has a degree of lubricity to it, but it's about 22-26 BHN. It also cures to one solid coat, not "flakes" by any stretch. Far softer than copper that you'd normally shoot down the barrel. It's also very flexible and will stay on surprisingly well even after being smashed.

Everyone I know using it doesn't have any issues with groups opening up after extensive use. At higher speeds (2kFPS+) then it can get tricky and I'll agree with you about leading - but at subsonic speeds in 300 FB/BO/Whisper it won't make a lick of difference.
Ken73
Sniper
Sniper

Postby ShooterScott » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:41 am

Here's an ok post on how to build an upper for an AR15, I'm pretty much a noob so this helped me, not sure if it will do you any good. Good luck!

http://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/how-t ... eiver.html
Ex Marine, part time cook, loving son, and part time blogger
https://www.opticsplanet.com/c-spcema-m ... -2017.html
ShooterScott
Rifleman
Rifleman

Previous

Return to AR-15 Uppers, Lowers. & Misc. Pieces