Brass Catcher

The forum name says it all folks; this section is for equipment reviews only.

Moderators: Charlie-2-6, The OA2 Staff

Brass Catcher

Postby Shermanator » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:31 pm

About a month ago I came across a forum that someone was asking about how to catch links from the Shrike (I don't have one but I do read post about it) and someone mentioned using a brass catcher. So I started looking up someone brass catchers online and I came across one at http://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com/

I read the reviews and I like how it would allow me to view the chamber and also allow quick access to it and the capacity was listed as 120 cases. Something the other brass catchers didn't have or do. So I bought one and today was my first time out.

It attaches to the forend picatinny rail, so it can't be used with a standard handguard forend unless you put a rail attachement for it to attach to. The attachment fixture is a clamping type not a slide on so it will fit all the railed forends that may have different measurements.

So after putting about 850 rounds down range today, I have to say I LOVE this brass catcher. It didn't come loose at all. It can handle rapid firing. I was able to shoot 4 30 round mags with out having to empty it. It was easy to empty it onto the table and then just swipe all the rounds into a bucket. I had about 1-3 rounds that fell between the gun and catcher and just dropped to the ground so it had a 99.6% catch rate. And of course had access to chamber anytime I wanted.

Of course be aware not to turn the gun far enough to the left while there is brass in the bag with the bolt locked back or you could end up with a spent case falling into the open chamber. FYI this happened to my dad today, who isn't very proficient with the AR15/M16 platform.

It is a little pricey at about $80-$90, but it wasn't the most expensive one I came across while looking for one.

I do recommend this if you do like to save your brass, ie to re-sell or for reloading.

So here are some of my own pictures of it, there are plenty more on the company's website.

This picture you can see me pushing it back away from the chamber and you can see down inside the bag.

How it is normally attached and ready to go.

With the deflector folded in for the storage position
Shermanator
Expert Rifleman
Expert Rifleman

Re: Brass Catcher

Postby Ken73 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:21 am

Some time ago I bought a couple of the cheapie ones you see in all the flyers (maybe $10 a pop? Been several years ago.) I finally got around to using it the other day since I was shooting my 300 Blackout and wanted to recover all my brass. If you're serious about your brass - I'd get something like that, over the cheapies. I'm missing two rounds of brass and you can't see the chamber at all. Since my brass is LC converts, I wasn't too upset - but if it was stamped 300 Blackout brass I'd be out there with the metal detector and flashlight at night!
Ken73
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Shermanator » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:43 am

I'm wanting to update this a little. I have tried it on my M10 that has a side rail forward of the bolt area and it worked very well.

So basically if you have any type or rail that is inline and forward of the bolt this brass catcher will probably work.
Shermanator
Expert Rifleman
Expert Rifleman

Postby John A. » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:00 am

Thanks for the link to the review. I'm not sure how I missed it when you posted it (or even since then), but thanks again :thumbs up:
Yes, I'm "THAT" guy
John A.
OA2 Advisory Council
OA2 Advisory Council

Postby ShooterScott » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:34 pm

Thanks for the info very cool!
Ex Marine, part time cook, loving son, and part time blogger
http://www.opticsplanet.com/brilliance-awards.html
ShooterScott
Plinker
Plinker