Hearing Protection Act - thoughts?

If it's affairs, policies, or politics, it's in here.

Moderators: Charlie-2-6, The OA2 Staff

Hearing Protection Act - thoughts?

Postby Ken73 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:55 pm

I'm assuming everyone has heard about it (pun intended!) but the act aims to remove suppressors from the NFA list; thus no extensive background check, no $200 tax stamp and no registration. They would become treated like a regular firearm; a 4473 and NICS check would be all that's required to obtain one. Building one would be treated as building a firearm now would be.

See details here:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/3799

There's no realistic opposition to it (no logical or factual opposition anyhow) but at the same time, I can't see how this would be passed as much as I want it to. Do any of y'all have any perspective as to why it realistically would or wouldn't pass? In this ridiculous political climate I'm just not seeing it unless someone "sneaks" it in which is a tactic commonly used for other "undesirable" laws to be passed.

What strikes me as odd is that the obvious dissenters here (progressives/leftists) are for it in other countries; it's actually considered rude to not use one in most of those countries and they're not even regulated - sold over the counter. From what I've read and understand, they were put on the NFA list because it was during the Great Depression and lawmakers were worried that poaching would become widespread from the use of suppressors. Nothing sinister about it - no concerns about deadly assassins or silent murders in the night. Having grown up practically having to yell at my father because he was partially deaf from all the shooting he did when he was young, it sure would be nice to at least be able to train my son when he comes of age and not bother my neighbors as much. (He shot skeet/trap competitively as well as hunted extensively.)
Ken73
Sniper
Sniper

Re: Hearing Protection Act - thoughts?

Postby ekim » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:48 pm

What about the new tech to listen for gun shots and being able for the police to respond even if they are not called and told about gun shots in a given neighborhood. I'm all for making silencers legal without even a bg check but I don't think it will get passed any time soon. Hell, they are still trying to outlaw semi auto guns.
ekim
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Rattler » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:19 am

I think it has a real chance to pass. There is revenue in this Bill, and that's what the Congress is all about - driving up revenues so they can spend more money. And you're right - there is no logical resistance to this, but that doesn't mean there won't be.
"A toast? Yeah. To high treason... So - Here's to the men who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right. What they knew was right."
Nicholas Cage as Ben Gates: National Treasure
Rattler
OA2 PRESIDENT
OA2 PRESIDENT

Postby Ken73 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:05 am

Rattler wrote:There is revenue in this Bill, and that's what the Congress is all about - driving up revenues so they can spend more money.

Right, but I don't understand how this drives up revenue? They make $200 directly on each suppressor sold right now. Seems like a lot more revenue than if they were to be popularized and no direct tax? I know sales have been through the roof with this administration touting gun control, but I don't understand (

And you're right - there is no logical resistance to this, but that doesn't mean there won't be.

There's always stupid people. I keep asking the American Suppressor Association what the opposition has been saying but even they haven't heard why they oppose it. They're just opposing it with no apparent reason at all. (So many puns for this..)
Ken73
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Rattler » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:54 am

Ken73 wrote:
Rattler wrote:There is revenue in this Bill, and that's what the Congress is all about - driving up revenues so they can spend more money.

Right, but I don't understand how this drives up revenue? They make $200 directly on each suppressor sold right now. Seems like a lot more revenue than if they were to be popularized and no direct tax? I know sales have been through the roof with this administration touting gun control, but I don't understand (

Quite simple actually. Since you no longer have to pay $200 for the tax stamp, how many more suppressors will be sold? If I do not have to pay the tax stamp, I'll have 5 or 6 where before I might not have any. Multiply that by a million other new suppressor owners and you have revenue: Sales tax, income tax for the sellers, business taxes etc. I won't spent $1,000 in taxes for the privilege to own 5 suppressors, but I'd gladly spend $1,000 on suppressors themselves. :thumbs up:
"A toast? Yeah. To high treason... So - Here's to the men who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right. What they knew was right."
Nicholas Cage as Ben Gates: National Treasure
Rattler
OA2 PRESIDENT
OA2 PRESIDENT

Postby Ken73 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:50 am

Interesting read:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0229-owens-silencers-20160229-story.html

Read the comments - I found the opposition, and it's just as incredibly stupid as I expected.
Ken73
Sniper
Sniper

Postby Thom » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:43 pm

That is an interesting read, particularly coming from the LA Times.
Thom. . .

"The only REAL safety is between your ears. . ."

Once a Marine....... wrote:After all we do have plenty of room for all of Gods animals......... right next to the mashed potatoes!
Thom
Sniper
Sniper

Postby John A. » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:25 pm

Anything related to firearms is and has always been demonized (at least in the last 100 years) by the most vocal minority. And let's face it, our youth are not being taught "common sense" and technology and other necessary things they will need. It's painful to say but, our country is royally screwed.

I do wish the hearing protection act passes, but I'm not holding my breath.
Yes, I'm "THAT" guy
John A.
OA2 Advisory Council
OA2 Advisory Council

Postby Shermanator » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:13 pm

If it passes I would put a suppressor on almost every firearm I own.

Lately I've been shooting my 5.56mm 11.5" Piston Upper SBR with a 7.26 can on it, absolutely love it!!!!! I've seriously considered not even shooting my M16 anymore and just shooting the SBR Suppressed.
Shermanator
Expert Rifleman
Expert Rifleman

Postby John A. » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:32 pm

The M16 would take a lot to keep it fed.

Even 9mm is a lot if you shoot a lot if you're blowing through a bunch of mags every month.

I've been starting to get into the 300 whisper/blackout in my SBR AR.
Yes, I'm "THAT" guy
John A.
OA2 Advisory Council
OA2 Advisory Council

Return to National Affairs, International Policies, & Washington Politics