Carrying Large Handguns

Discussions on Concealed Carry

Moderators: Charlie-2-6, The OA2 Staff

Re: Carrying Large Handguns

Postby Thom » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:02 am

40 rod wrote:why a ppk ? back in the 20th Century it was about as much bang for the buck for it's size. but today both keltek and ruger make 380's the size of the old browning .25 and make 9mm's the size of a ppk. James Bond has not even used one for the last few movies.

I have handled them, but I personally just don't have much use for the plastic fantastics. I want that good ole solid feeling stainless steel. I have always loved the solid feel, pointability and shootability of the PPK, there just really aren't many like it! The Mauser HSC would be an acceptable alternative, though I'm more likely to end up with a Polish P64 in 9mm Mak just because of the price.
Thom. . .

"The only REAL safety is between your ears. . ."

Once a Marine....... wrote:After all we do have plenty of room for all of Gods animals......... right next to the mashed potatoes!
Thom
Sniper
Sniper

Postby 40 rod » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:26 pm

Thom wrote:
40 rod wrote:why a ppk ? back in the 20th Century it was about as much bang for the buck for it's size. but today both keltek and ruger make 380's the size of the old browning .25 and make 9mm's the size of a ppk. James Bond has not even used one for the last few movies.

I have handled them, but I personally just don't have much use for the plastic fantastics. I want that good ole solid feeling stainless steel. I have always loved the solid feel, pointability and shootability of the PPK, there just really aren't many like it! The Mauser HSC would be an acceptable alternative, though I'm more likely to end up with a Polish P64 in 9mm Mak just because of the price.

I'd pick the Polish P64 over the PPK. Not only does it have a tad bit more power, but for the price of a ppk you could get 2 p64s and a case of hardball. I met some Polish troops in Kuwait that were returning from Iraq who carried P64s :thumbs up: . But even better I'd chose the ruger LC9. .........but its all good.
40 rod
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Glenn-SC » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:09 am

Which gun you choose to carry is entirely up to you.

But that being said, if you truly have to conceal carry (emphasis on conceal), a "full sized" hand gun can be difficult to carry in 100F+ weather where all you are wearing is a T-shirt and shorts.
Glenn-SC
Expert Rifleman
Expert Rifleman

Postby 9x19MdM » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:11 pm

Thom wrote:

Have you looked at the Sig P238?
http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/ ... -p238.aspx
We snagged one a couple months back for a CCW. There's about a dozen different models, but be sure and look at one that has the TFO sights on it.
http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetai ... uinox.aspx
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"The quality of decision is like the well-timed swoop of a falcon which enables it to strike and destroy its victim" -- Sun Tzu
9x19MdM
Sniper
Sniper

Postby ididieselman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:16 am

who cares what others think carry what is best for YOU and comfortable with. As long as you hit what you are shooting at is what matters! :wink:
"An armed society is a polite society"
ididieselman
Expert Rifleman
Expert Rifleman

Postby rifleman88 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:46 pm

I tried, but it bothers me more than when wearing my compact Walther PPK.
rifleman88
Plinker
Plinker

Postby clash14 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:11 am

I love my 4" 1911 STI. I swap between that and a Sig 238. STI spits out anything I put in (other than HPs). The Sig is a little more finicky with cheaper practice rounds, but good ammo never fails to function properly.

As far as caliber sizes go, there have been several studies I've looked through which indicate that although caliber size MAY have a higher likely hood of a one shot drop, the difference is negligible. The more common trend observed was the ability to put multiple shots on target. The "psychological effect" of being shot would be enough to deter most with one shot. The real determined ones needed a second regardless of caliber, unless a vital hit was made. Vital hits could be achieved with almost any caliber at close, defensive distances.

Point being, choose your firearm and know it well in order to employ it most effectively.

I still pack my .45, but when I chose my .380 I feel fully comfortable and capable.
clash14
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Colorado Osprey » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:01 am

Dstehl wrote:I am starting to get the feeling that the ''gun elites" think I am stupid for carrying a full size 1911. I get a lot of harsh comments on another forum from people who think I am stupid for buying brands like Olympic Arms and Taurus. Does anyone else carry full size?

I've carried just about everything. 1st and foremost it needs to be ultra-reliable and you need to be able to shoot it accurately.
That said my most often carried guns are both Full Size. Ruger P89 and Glock Model 20 (10mm)
If a smaller gun in needed I carry a Taurus 605 (5 shot 357 Mag)

Yes, I have got flack from others for my choices until I call them out and have them shoot with their carry pieces. I always out shoot them. I have even seen a few have their guns malfunction during these "tests". That is when the hazing ends abruptly or gets reversed.

Don't let them get to you. If you can, call them out and out shoot them. Most will make excuses like, "but I don't plan to shoot over 10 feet." Your response should be something like, for your sake I hope you don't either.
Lets just remove all the warning label and let nature take its course.
Colorado Osprey
Sniper
Sniper

Postby SAS Mayhem » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:21 am

I too only carry full size 1911's, I mostly switch between SA RO, Kimber II.

SA RO

Kimber II

Cheers
Ron
SAS Mayhem
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby HeavyG-WV » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:04 pm

I know this is an old post but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway. I conceal carry a fullsize (Ruger P95). I used to carry a P89 but I opted for the polymer P95 instead. It's a little lighter. Sometimes I carry a back-up. It's a North American Arms .22. The one that folds up, about the size of a beeper (I guess that shows my age :oops: )
HeavyG-WV
Marksman
Marksman

Postby HeavyG-WV » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:12 pm

Back-up and the regular concealed choice
HeavyG-WV
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Dstehl » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:26 pm

I started carrying a Taurus Judge Public Defender also. It is actually smaller than my 1911 and I do not have an issue hiding it.
Derek Stehl
K3B 16" SS 5.56

http://facebook.com/derekstehl
Dstehl
Expert Rifleman
Expert Rifleman

Postby Baltimoreed11754 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:56 pm

I also know this is an old post but a lot of these posts are old. My very first carry gun was a AMT .45 Backup then a Colt DS which became a scandium J frame Smith until recently when I got my .45 Detonics and a Colt New Agent. I am wearing the Detonics as I type this and will swap out between the 2 autos until summer when I go back to a pocket carry with the Smith. Prior to the cc laws being passed, I have open carried my full size 1911 while deer or squirrel hunting and traveling in the car.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
Baltimoreed11754
Marksman
Marksman

Postby ididieselman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:13 am

I recently changed from my G19 to G17 I really don't feel a difference and concealing is no problem. Like mentioned before carry what YOU want as long as you can hit what your aiming at go to go....Carry on! :thumbs up:
"An armed society is a polite society"
ididieselman
Expert Rifleman
Expert Rifleman

Previous

Return to Concealed Carry